St. Demetrios Elementary School's major goal is to help your child become comfortable in school and with the learning process. They will learn to get along with others, follow rules, and acquire the basic skills by completing common core standards in all subject areas.
- Students will recognize and form upper and lower case letters.
- Students will form regular plural nouns orally by adding /s/ or /es/
- Students will understand and use question words (interrogatives) (e.g., who, what, where, when, why, how).
- Students will learn the sounds of each letter in order to begin read and spell simple words phonetically, drawing on knowledge of sound letter relationships.
- Students will begin reading words by using initial consonant sounds and sound patterns, along with acknowledging word families.
- Students will recognize frequently used sight words in order to read short stories.
- Students will begin midyear to take spelling tests and learn sentence structure.
- Students will count, recognize and compare numbers 1-50.
- Geometry: Students will identify, draw, cut, and name basic and two-dimensional shapes.
- Measurement and Data: Students will describe and compare measureable attributes.
- Students will classify and group objects according to characteristics.
- Students will perform experiments in order to understand concepts in science.
- Students will have 1 period of Greek each day. (Curriculum included)
Special classes incorporated during the week are as follows:
Greek - Dance - Greek Music - Gym - Computers - Art - Church
We thank you in advance for your cooperation and look forward to working with you throughout the year.